Lately I have been really interested in photography. Well, actually I have been for a long time now, but at the moment it's really taken hold of me. I have been putting the time and effort into (trying to) produce photographs that I'm really happy with. My brother has been obsessed with photography for the last four years, especially seeing as he's become a respected photography down at Bondi Skate park. He spends a lot of time down there taking photos and videos, and turning them into little movies. So I guess that my interests in the area has grown from his, as most of my interests do.
My main focus has been on inanimate objects, and I really like to play with natural effects, like reflection and light. I find it easier to shoot inanimate objects because they don't change, they don't feel, and they don't talk. They just sit there, patiently waiting for you to turn them into beautiful photographs. This, is what I strive to do.
That last photograph is one that I love. Theres something so perfect about the subtleties of the blues that come through the reflection. I quickly shot these three photographs in about twenty minutes, and they were just meant to be fillers for a series of photographs I had sent off to an online magazine. All I wanted them for was to bulk up the load. But the more and more I looked at them, whilst editing other photos, or transferred them from memory card to memory card, the more I really started to like them. They seemed so lonely.
Who wore those sunglasses?
Who used that skate board?
Would any one ever find out?
These questions intrigued me when I look at those photographs. I try to ignore the nagging thoughts in my head, "the composition isn't right", "you didn't even have the lens in focus!" Instead I try to look at my own photos, and all photographs as a construction, and a piece of artwork. I'd give this advice to anyone who was in the same boat as me, just starting to discover the big wide world of photography.



No comments:
Post a Comment